Through the purchase of Lynce’s Landing and the McClure family farm, Exposition Park, which would later become Conneaut Lake Park, was founded in 1892. Initially Exposition Park was a place summer visitors could come and enjoy all of the…

1825 brought the completion of the Erie Canal, linking Albany, New York to Lake Erie and allowing goods to be transported more efficiently inland. The southern extension of the canal, which was referred to as the Beaver and Erie Canal, brought…

Conneaut Lake’s name is derived from the word “Konneyaut” which meant “snow place” to the Seneca Indians who first inhabited the area. As the lake thawed, the snow on the ground surrounding the perimeter of the lake would melt more slowly…

Even after the first spring melt, the snow would remain on the frozen surface of Conneaut Lake. Capitalizing on this natural resource, the Conneaut Lake Ice Company was established in August of 1880 on a narrow strip of land on the southeastern edge…

In 1958, an excavation led by Conneaut Lake resident Carl Burkett, with the aid of geology professor Sam Harrison and a number of his students from nearby Allegheny College, yielded the discovery of a 10,000 year old mammoth tusk dredging between…

The construction of the Erie Canal brought with it the first opportunity for commercial use of Conneaut Lake. Until its completion in 1825, Conneaut Lake was accessible only by foot trails. It wasn’t until the southern end of the canal, called The…

Approximately 11,700 years ago, at the end of the Pleistocene epoch, the glaciers that covered North America began to retreat. As this occurred, one large block of ice broke from a glacier, carving out a deep depression in the area now known as…

Built in 1853, Ruter Hall was the second building constructed on Allegheny's campus. Ruter was named for Rev. Martin Ruter, the second president of the College (1833-1837) and the first after the Methodist re-founding. This fine example of Greek…

In spring 1865, this three-story wooden dormitory was built directly across Waterford Pike (now Main Street) from Ruter Hall, able to be occupied by as many as 100 male students that fall. Difficulties ensued when the original donor Charles Vernon…

On January 15, 1915 Alden Hall, home of Allegheny’s chemistry and biology departments burnt down in a devastating fire. The college lost thousands of dollars, and was unsure of their next step when Andrew Carnegie decided to donate $40,000 for a…

Montgomery Gymnasium was built as an armory and a center for physical instruction in 1896. The building was designed by Chicago architect M. H. Church to serve the needs of students, faculty, and alumni who had advocated for an on-campus location…

To ensure student retention, and to eliminate the threat of campus community factions, it was decided that the College needed to erect a building that would house 150 - 200 male students, provide club rooms, banquet rooms, and guest rooms. The…

Ford Memorial Chapel has been the center of spiritual and intellectual life at Allegheny College since it was built in 1901. In the 1820’s, chapel services were held in the second floor of Bentley Hall, then moved to Ruter Hall after 1854. …

The site where Alden Hall now stands was originally occupied by Alden Academy, the Preparatory School associated with the College. When it closed in 1912, the Chemistry Department moved in, only to be displaced due to a fire on January 15, 1915. The…

When it was erected in 1892, Wilcox Hall was only the fourth building on campus, but the first dedicated to specialized instruction. It was a popular gathering spot, because Allegheny College students assembled on the lengthy steps. Demolished in…

Newton Memorial Observatory was constructed for Allegheny College in 1901 under the guidance of Mary Newton, who commissioned the building to honor her late husband, Captain Don Carlos Newton and to expand the culture of Physics education and…

Designed by Alexander Temple with assistance from Timothy Alden, founder and first president of the College, Bentley Hall was the first building on Allegheny College's campus. Considered one of the finest extant examples of Federalist architecture in…

The Civil War Memorial was erected in 1910 “in memory of the men of Allegheny College who served their country as SOLDIERS AND SAILORS OF THE CIVIL WAR.” The most notable group of these were the Allegheny Volunteers. The Allegheny College…

In 1870 Allegheny College first accepted women as students, although it was not until Hulings Hall was erected in 1879 that they were housed on campus. At the cornerstone laying ceremony, Ida B. Tarbell (Class of 1880) expressed her “heart-felt…

Reis Hall is one of the iconic buildings of Allegheny College, built in 1902 to crown the campus atop the highest hill in the center of the grounds. Until 1976, Reis was home to one of the largest libraries of any college, a collection that in its…

The present landscaping outside of Schultz Hall is the remnant of the more extensive Alumni Gardens that were planted in late 1930s. The Alumni Gardens occupied the south end of campus, an area that once served as a dump and compost heap, hidden by a…

Allegheny College has maintained a strong connection with the natural world from its beginnings in 1815. When Reverend Timothy Alden established his institution in Meadville, Pennsylvania, he wanted to tame the wilderness of northwestern…