The present landscaping outside of Schultz Hall is the remnant of the more extensive Alumni Gardens that were planted in late 1930s. The Alumni Gardens occupied the south end of campus, an area that once served as a dump and compost heap, hidden by a low stone wall. John S. Craig, a member of the Allegheny College Board of Trustees, proposed opening up the area by creating a garden in that space. The class of 1927 took on the project in anticipation of its upcoming ten-year reunion. The 100-square foot garden, west of the Ravine, was designed by landscape architect Homer Thornton and funded by the donations of numerous reunion classes. A brass statue of a nymph adorned a fountain in the small pond, created by Pittsburgh sculptor Frank Vittor and funded by Lewis Walker. The gardens were a favorite location for commencement receptions and springtime activities.
In 1960, the construction of South Hall (now Schultz Hall) disrupted the design of the garden as some flower beds and the nymph statue were removed. To this day, the whereabouts of the bronze statue are unknown. The fountain and parts of the stone wall remained in place after construction. Over the years, the fountain was a popular site for student pranks, often involving bubble bath and Jell-O. In 2001, the troublesome fountain was replaced with a flower bed.