As the population of Conneaut Lake, which was called Evansburg at the time, began to grow in the 1800s, it became apparent that a more efficient method of transportation was needed. In 1825, the southern extension of the Erie Canal was completed, and a number of steamers began to occupy the lake. They would be replaced in 1930s, however, by smaller ferries like the Red Wing and the Barbara J.