The Vukovich Center for Communication Arts is where the theater and communication arts departments are located. President Cook (1996-2009) received the funds to start construction on campus with the goal of creating an eco-friendly campus the Vukovich Center for Communication Arts was one of his projects. Opened in Spring of 2009 the building was designed by the Ennead Architects LLP, the style is post-modern emphasizing clean lines and uncovered pipes and ventilation. The building is also “green” with the garden terrace and geo-thermal heating and cooling from being built into the hillside. Before the Vukovich Center for Communication Arts was built, the Playshop Theater ran out of an old structure called the Red Barn near Arter. There was also group of tennis courts where the Vukovich Center for Communication Arts now stands which stood on that spot since at least the 1930’s.