In 1958, an excavation led by Conneaut Lake resident Carl Burkett, with the aid of geology professor Sam Harrison and a number of his students from nearby Allegheny College, yielded the discovery of a 10,000 year old mammoth tusk dredging between what is now Nye’s Marina and Silver Shores restaurant. This discovery sparked the exploration of Conneaut Lake’s prehistoric past.