Even after the first spring melt, the snow would remain on the frozen surface of Conneaut Lake. Capitalizing on this natural resource, the Conneaut Lake Ice Company was established in August of 1880 on a narrow strip of land on the southeastern edge of the lake. The Conneaut Lake Ice Company created large ice houses for storing, packaging and shipping ice harvested from the lake.